Sunday, December 18, 2011

Edinburgh Christmas Markets

There's a lot to complain about during December in Scotland.  To be specific, the weather sucks.  The days are short (the sun's setting at around 3:45 pm now), cold, wet, and windy.  It takes a lot to get me to leave my flat right now, but one thing has tempted me out several times: Edinburgh's Christmas Market.
Princes Street Gardens, home of the Scott Monument, is completely transformed during December, with an ice rink, carnival rides, gift stands, and food and drink stalls.  On the East end of the Gardens you can sample scottish goodies like haggis, hot cider, and mulled mead.  The West end of The Gardens is home to a little German Christmas Market, run by a company from Frankfurt.  There you can try all sorts of German goodies like Käsespätzle (I'm not even going to attempt to explain it- see this video if you're curious), and the all-important Glühwein (mulled wine).


How could I complain about weather when I have this to look at every day?



No comments:

Post a Comment